Monday, May 19, 2008

Immigrant Killings

This is a strange blog, and forgive me Jean for posting an email exchange, but as I sent it to you, it occurred to me that if I have anything to say about the immigrant killings in Johannesburg right now, then this is it. I figure a few people might log on to check in on me, so ....


________________________________
> Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:03:39 -0400
> From: jean.e.erickson@gmail.com
> To: golightly17@hotmail.com
> Subject: all ok?
>
> Hey Anna,
>
> I owe you a real email, but I just wanted to check that all is alright with you and that you're safe. I know the violence has been in Johannesburg, but GOD is that terrifying. What are people around you saying/thinking/feeling? What about you? What is with the world!??
>
> I love you,
>
> Jean


my reply:

...Yes, I am ok. I am fine and safe. The violence is terrifying though. One of the most terrifying things is: I am fine, all is well here in Durban, things keep going just as they usually do, as if nothing had happened. In fact, people are hardly talking about the killings. (I don't watch the local news).

I had this thought during class today..."what the hell, in the past few weeks, a cyclone has killed thousands, an earthquake has killed thousands, hunger has killed thousands, and yet we just keep going." It doesn't make any sense. Shouldnt things just stop? But they dont. I am bewildered by this world, honestly.

But I am happy, cheerful, have been doing just fine. Going to do a Rotary presentation tonight. (see what I mean!?)

I love you,
Anna

No comments: