Thursday, January 24, 2008

Poems, Advice, Goodbye for now, and check out my new haircut!



pics: Becca Atwell and me, Keri Libby and me (haircut by Cregg at Grow Salon in Decatur--he's a friend, and an awesome stylist so go see him.  Prices are very reasonable)

"To do list: Everything! Do it. Do Everything."

As she was leaving my goodbye party last night, I asked Ms. Keri Libby, "What should I do?" She answered, "Everything!"  So, I made her write it down in my little red book.  

Natalie Williams quieted my wondering soul with some words like "eternal commitment is not necessarily the pinnacle of love." (we were talking about you, Don Quixote)  She also gave me a card, which she herself admitted was a sappy vehicle for this poem:

Thirst           by Mary Oliver

Another morning and I wake with thirst
for the goodness I do not have.  I walk 
out to the pond and all the way God has
given us such beautiful lessons.  Oh Lord, 
I was never a quick scholar but sulked
and hunched over my books past the
hour and the bell; grant me, in your
mercy, a little more time.  Love for the
earth and love for you are having such a 
long conversation in my heart.  Who 
knows what will finally happen or
where I will be sent, yet already I have
given a great many things away, expect-
ing to be told to pack nothing, except the
prayers which, with this thirst, I am
slowly learning. 

Wow!  

I love you all so much!  Thank you for being so you and for loving me so me.  Thanks for the sending off party, Becky and Sage.  Thanks for la cena on Tuesday, Justin. Thanks for the dansko's, Libby, I've been wearing them non-stop. Thanks for burning the creme de menthe brownies, Jean.  The temptation to emotionally eat vast amounts of chocolate is a bit high right now.  I drank too much wine, as it was, which thank God helped me sleep! 

I'm sooo excited, I'm literally vibrating.              

2 comments:

Ullinho said...

Anna, all the best for your upcoming time in South Africa. I will read every word you´ll write...I am sure it will be a mind-blowing experience down there! SO take every breath you take and my hint to you is...meet people, because they won´t forget you as much as you won´t forget them.
Auf Wiedersehn from somewhere in Germany ;-)
Dani

Jeannie said...

anna banana,
i love you so...i had a panicked moment when i tried to call you earlier today and remembered that you're an ocean away.
that poem hit me hard. thank god that god is patient, because i am really stunted.
anyway, i am so excited for you. as you do "everything," be sure to write some of it down so the rest of us can hear about it!
un gran besote,
naej