Monday, January 21, 2008

Thoughts, 4 days before departure for Durban!!!!!!

Last night at Sunday dinner, I asked my family and friends to suggest a gift to take to my Rotary host family and club in Durban, South Africa.  I'd been thinking along the lines of Georgia pecans or peach preserves, but Granny had a better idea: "take something of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr's, " she said.  Everyone oohed and ahhed in agreement.  I'm not exaggerating--people made noises--that man's commitment to non-violent social change is heart-quickeningly spectacular.  The soul knows a friend like him immediately.  What better way to show gratitude for hospitality, what better way to begin a friendship, than to invoke the spirit of one so devoted to understanding?

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. day.  This morning's Atlanta Journal Constitution remembered King with some quotes and a reminder that "as inspiring as his language could be, [MLK] is revered today because his was a life of deeds, not rhetoric."

"We have ancient habits to deal with, vast structures of power, indescribably complicated problems to solve.  But unless we abdicate our humanity altogether and succumb to fear and impotence in the presence of the weapons we ourselves have created, it is as possible and as urgent to put an end to war and to violence between nations as it is to put an end to poverty and racial injustice."  MLK, Jr. 

I can't imagine the disappointment and disillusionment in humanity that King must have suffered.  He lived in the thick of hate, in the midst of all our worst human habits born of fear and smallness.  But he never abdicated.  Even if he seriously doubted our ability to deal with those habits and structures of power--and who doesn't?--he never ever stopped working to liberate us from them.  His was a life of deeds.

I share King's dreams.  They are big dreams.  Yes, yes they sure as hell are.  I don't know what actions we shall take each day, each moment, to dismantle power structures and redirect our habit-energies of hate and greed toward compassion and generosity, but I do know that constant prayer guides us.  Prayer gets ya meditating on the things you yearn for in the quiet, humble space of your soul.  God finds and gives you strength there.  

You know what I want?  You know what I want most?  For all families, everywhere, to be able to sit down to the kind of meal we did last night.  It was good, really good.  My beloveds, vegetarian shepherd's pie, salad (with hearts of palm!!!), bread, wine, chocolate, cheese, fruit, my great-grandmother's ice-box cookies, and miracles of understanding at every turn in the conversation. I want everyone everywhere to be free, to have the resources, to know the love and understanding and support that allows such a holy/earthly human experience.  

The vision of an abundant table guides me.  I lose sight all the time.  I am disappointed and overwhelmed by the sad realities of poverty, oppression, and war that rob people of security and abundance which allow for nourishment and development.  But OH WELL-- disappointment is just a part of life.  We can't let ourselves be deterred. I'll tolerate most anything, but not abdication.  I won't tolerate it, but I'll do so non-violently.  

Tomorrow, after my pre-departure haircut, I'll head over to the King Center and buy some books and cd's to take to my host family.  As I move through all my pre-departure errands this week, I pray to keep sight of the big dreams.

Holy Creator and Sustainer, thank you for Martin Luther King, thank you for Thich Nhat Hanh (had to get him in there), Charlotte Walters Erickson, and all the millions of teachers--human, animal, spirit, plant, etc--who are constantly pointing to you. 

 

 

5 comments:

TiffanyDowling said...

I am so glad that you have a great gift that you are proud to give, and I'm even happier that your supper last night invovled chocolate. You inspire me to verbalize my emotions more and pick up my journal again. I love you beyond anything I can write, so imagine us sitting on a sofa with an old-granny floral pattern, just laughing.

Justin Wallace said...

Anna, as always you leave me pondering life and the role we all play in it. I appreciate your challenging thoughts on peace, hope, tolerance, and the like.
I am so glad that you are getting this opportunity to spend a year in South Africa. You are going to be absolutely blown away! I send you my best wishes and recommend you take an extra pair of black socks. I cannot tell you the number of times that I wish that I had a nice pair of black socks. Love you! J

Sandie said...

Anna: how amazing to read your beautiful blog and hear your voice in my head! I can't believe it is only four days til you leave. It will be great fun to read your posts and hear how things are going in Durban... And,the MLK gifts sound perfect. We are missing you in So Cal, and so thrilled that you are on your way across the planet. Much love, prayers, and blessings to you! Love Sandie

Sara said...

Anna,

I must talk to you before you leave!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear about your trip via your beautiful writing. If somehow I don't get a chance to talk to you before you leave, best of luck, safe travels, and lots of love!!!!

Sara

Amy said...

Hey Anna! I thought I'd check out your blog to see if I need technology help - I can be quite retarded when it comes to things, but I hope this works.

Okay, first of all...what the hell is vegetarian shephard's pie?

Have a great trip and let me know when you get there!

Hey Justin!