Monday, January 28, 2008

status: email not working, heart working well

Saturday, I arrived in Durban 5 hours before expected, and thank heavens, because that meant I got to eat dinner with my host family and their company. Hillary, my host mom, made roast lamb, butternut squash with cous cous, a cheesy scalloped vegetable dish, and home fries. You know me...this was a perfect welcoming feast, and I drank lots of red wine, enough to help me fall alseep even though I went to bed around 3 pm east coast time. (the time difference is 7 hours).

Woke up a few hours later, bewildered. So I read. Instead of getting angry, I read. Did the same last night, but instead of falling back to sleep, I just read until the sun came up, and then I got up, too, and jumped in the pool. Today, all I've done is fail to set up a bank account. In my continuing bewilderment, and honestly, continuing anxiety, I just pray and read. You know me, same old, same old.

I wish I had pictures to share with you now, but technically, I'm moving pretty slowly. For some reason, my email will only let me read, not send, emails. So please, send them on. I promise I will figure out a way to write you back in the near future.

Hillary and Gussie are funny and warm, their daughter Tracy will be a good friend. Last night, I met a professor from the University and two students--former Rotary scholars who decided to extend their stay in Durban. This week, I'll open a bank account, get a driver's license and car, register for classes, look for an apartment, and go to my first yoga class in Durban with the former scholars. It's hot and very humid here, so I'll be all loosy goosy after just a few good yoga sessions.

I love you all.

7 comments:

Shanito said...

sounds like you're off to a good start. Is it anything like you pictured it would be? Be sure to send me your address asap because I've already started a letter for you. Today I spent 3,000.00 dollars on latrine materials. Tommorow begins the 6 trips of cement blocks to my community. WAHOOO! Adventure runs in our veins. Love you!

Amy said...

Hey Anna!

I'm glad you made it! Things will work out - you can't move half way around the world and expect everything to get done in one day - I didn't tell you this before you left, but we had to finally get rid of the car you gave us. It was becoming a giant lawn ornament if you know what I mean.

Hey Shannon! I hope that is you (shanito) - I don't know too many others who would be spending 3000 dollars on toilet materials. I hope that project is going well.

Love you !

Amy

Natalie said...

I'm thinking calm thoughts toward you. Also, you should know that I freaked out this morning pretty heavily after submitting two phd applications, and I didn't move anywhere or have to show my visa or get a new driver's license or ANYTHING. Soooo, there you go, Ms. Anxious, I guess it's inescapable.
I love you -
Natalie

Unknown said...

Sounds like good food and good people. You're getting a car!? And what's this about a pool? Sounds beautiful and hard all at the same time. Love you

Mama said...

Hi,
Well I've already left one comment and I can't see that it was posted. If you find it someplace let me know. So I'm trying one more time. If it doesn't work I'm going to deep breathe and go to bed. Anna, sweetheart, don't forget to allow one (1) day for each time zone...you need to give yourself one (1) whole week to start feeling a bit normal and sleeping and eating normally. In the meantime, I think wine and chocolate will get you through. Love Mama

Unknown said...

Hey Anna-
We are so glad that you made it and your host family seems so nice. Luke saw someone on Seasame Street that he was sure was you!!! She was very cute so consider that a compliment! Enjoy your adventure and I know they will enjoy you. Write back when you can. We are praying for you.
Love, The Schweflers

PS- Ferris is still making new tatoos around her belly button with her markers of course. haha

TiffanyDowling said...

Since this is now about 2 weeks since your blog, I hope you are doing better now. I can't wait to see pictures of Durban and hear more stories. I am so proud of you baby. You have more guts than most men I know! And I bet your body will love the heat and humidity when it is stretching. Do you know what I pictured when you mentioned the pool? I saw a boadacious babe breathing the bubbles out of her nose as she swims her last foot in the pool and then gets out and swishes her hair around. I love you!